Monday, May 2, 2011

Painting the Desert in May




Painting the desert this May morning was spectacular! The Palo Verde trees were in bloom this week and lots of yellow was in nature's palate today. Be sure to click on the pictures to see them bigger. I was pretty happy with the loose foreground bushes today. Yes that cactus was leaning in towards the other saguaros. They usually grow pretty straight, but once in a while they lean to the side a bit. Because of some breezes it was not too warm this morning so I had a spot in the sun. It had some nice Palo Verde (Arizona's state tree) and saguaros (their blossom is our state flower)in the view. I did my usual routine of one main painting (11x14) and then a smaller quick study (8x10). The quick one needs some more darks in the tree on the left, but I will touch it up later. I am also posting my second one from last week. You maybe able to see that the trees weren't blooming as much yet. What a gorgeous day today was! Hope the temperatures hold for a while longer!

2 comments:

Shirley Fachilla said...

Lovely paintings. Enjoying the sunshine in them; it's rainy here and has been for awhile.
Soak up some sunshine for me!

Ann Osgood said...

Yes we are having some great weather here right now. We love this time when it is still spring-like because we know what is around the corner...