Monday, June 3, 2013

New Freeway Painting

This morning I finished up this 40x40" acrylic of the freeway overpass. I drive this frontage road frequently and love the light hitting the structure. I challenged myself to have a pretty minimal composition. The emphasis on the overpass was what I hoped to focus on. The less you have in the piece, the more you have to create interest without relying on the details provided by the subject. Color, contrasts and paint application instead. I used painter's tape here and there, but really am not trying to make precision a part of the work...the impression is what I am after...I start really loose with the painting rather than a careful drawing.


2 comments:

Mills said...

I love the feel of the overpass structure. How did you get so many colors into an overpass without it taking over the picture. Nature is still the dominant image in this picture. The overpass invites you to go under it. Wow.

Ann Osgood said...

When the light hits these structures it reminds me of the way it hits the rocks in a canyon...so I guess that helps with the nature connection...