Wednesday, June 22, 2011

A Wipe Out


Yesterday I went to a painting session where we had a long pose. I did an oil painting and enjoyed the process, but not the product. I wiped out the painting when I got home. I had a nice morning with wonderful company, music (niece Jane was the DJ on the Classical Music station) and good model. I wonder if the fairly dark room had anything to do with my rather boring results? I am not sure, but rather than mess with it, I wiped the painting off the panel. I actually felt proud of myself for seeing the value of just practice, no product. It felt good to admit defeat, but feel good about the effort.
I am happy when I produce a nice successful painting, but that should not be my first goal. To learn during each effort and become better should be the target. Many painters repeat successes over and over because they sell. It is a temptation that artists of all genres have. Authors can repeat formulas over and over and so can artists. I was thinking how my desert paintings could seem repetitious as I go to the same area to work. But as long as I am consciously interacting with what I see, staying deliberate with each painting stroke, I am being authentic. It is when you succumb to using the same answer, using generic information instead of what is there, and when you make it a formula, then it is no longer part of the authentic journey.

2 comments:

Merial said...

I can so identify with what you say about process. That reminds me of music practice, and the importance of showing up everyday, regardless of the next show or concert...it's a challenge! And...hope the musical selections next time will be more inspiring, lol!

Ann Osgood said...

I can't blame the music!! You are right...showing up is half way there!