Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Back Painting the Desert




Finally the weather has let up and we are back to painting the desert. I was walking away with 2 paintings most mornings before we stopped in July. So far after a month back at the weekly plein air session I have only been able to complete one painting each morning. I guess I am rusty! One day we had lots of moving clouds that changed the lights and darks a lot. You really have to decide what to "chase" and what to stick with.  This week I challenged myself by doing the painting with only painting knives. No brush work at all. It really put me through the paces. I had to think and be very deliberate with each bit of paint. It was hard work, tiring and fun at the same time. I knew it would use up a lot of paint so I loaded up my palette with a generous bit of each color. I had a variety of knives, but ended up using only a few and one in particular was the main tool. I think you will be able to tell which painting it was by the globs of paint.

2 comments:

Shirley Fachilla said...

Beautiful colors and I love the one with the "gobs of paint."

Ann Osgood said...

Thanks Shirley! I plan on doing more...It was weird how some areas were easier to do with the knife than with a brush. Other parts made my brain tired because I had to think so hard.