Monday, November 21, 2011

Fancy Frame

A few weeks ago I participated in a silent auction fund raiser. I donated some paintings and ended up buying one. In addition there was a rather hideous (really it was) painting in a big carved frame. It was 30x40 and really heavy duty. I got it for $32 with my eye on the frame and not the painting. Because the frame was off white I had to find a subject that would work so I started going through my photos. I ended up picking one of cliffs going down to the Salt River. The shoreline has white rocks and boulders so it was perfect. I used acrylics and spent a lot of time building up thin layers of texture for the cliffs. I went back and defined them with more opaque paint. I had a lot of shadowed areas that were contrasted by the areas hit by the sun. It was really a fun painting to do where everything when pretty well. Usually you pick a frame for the painting, but this time I did a painting for a frame!  I think it goes perfectly with this fancy frame.

3 comments:

anna maria said...

Absolutely beautiful! You are a great artist.

Shirley Fachilla said...

A perfect fit - painting to frame. The painting is wonderful. Wish I could see it in reality rather than just a pixel image!

Ann Osgood said...

Thanks. I really did think it was a good match for the frame. I tried some new ideas for getting the texture..alcohol with the acrylics like I learned in that Stan Kurth workshop.