Monday, September 1, 2008

Abstract Weekend



These are 3 of 4 paintings I worked on this weekend. The extra day off sure helped get my energy and mood up. I started by using watercolor paint sticks to add calligraphic lines to the middle painting that was close to this stage. With those lines to loosen me up I added the lines you can see most with a brush and paint. The watercolor sticks are sort of like crayon and don't show much. I used them again on the 2 paneled painting on the top. This was a high energy painting with Red Hot Chili Peppers for inspiration. I was dancing this one out. I like the panels together and apart and think it has an Asian feel to some of the lines. Finally I painted over a scene of a tranquil pond that just never went where I wanted. It is a big 4 foot square. The original painting is almost completely gone, but some of the mood remains. I felt the voices of my favorite college professors as I did all of these. I had been very focused on non objective abstract painting in school, but years of working figuratively made this a challenging weekend. These were so much fun, but also so much brain work! Lots of labor on Labor day!

No comments: