Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Another Painter Gone

Cy Twomby passed away this week. He was a painter I always enjoyed and shared with my high school students. He was in his eighties, but still seemed to be so current. The influence of his paintings can be seen in contemporary galleries across the globe. His scrolling brushstrokes in bold colors, the interesting pencil marks that emerge from the neutral backgrounds are two different looks that can be seen being explored by many artists.

I was thinking that the work of Twomby seems so fresh and "now", but he was working in this direction for decades. Evidence that it does take the rest of us awhile to catch up to a foresighted artist like he was. I understand that he was a genuinely nice person who loved life. I am glad we have his paintings to enjoy in his memory.

No comments: