Saturday, July 23, 2011

Final Exit


Lucian Freud made his final exit at age 88 the other day. He was one of Britain's most celebrated painters. I remember being horribly fascinated by an exhibit of his paintings. Wonderful thick brushstrokes describe the forms of his subjects. His absolutely brutally honest paintings were captivating. No flaws are glossed over but instead are treated the same way that all the observed features were.  As I looked at his daughter's portrait I was thinking how glad I was that none of them were of me! I considered Queen Elizabeth to be very brave when she had him do her portrait. His work is like looking in a mirror at home without the tricks of nice lighting in those store dressing rooms. Cellulite, blemishes, blotchy skin...but oh that paint! Such brushwork!

No comments: